- Gestional alterations: It is focused in pregnancy losses, preeclampsia, antiphospholipid syndrome and the mechanisms of action of aspirin in pregnancy complications.
- Glycobiology: This research line is focused on the role of glycans in placenta development and kidney physiology and their derived insights into preeclampsia pathophysiology. From this perspective, we have studied new markes of kidney damage in preeclampsia and the biological role of glycans in the systemic inflammatory response in preeclampsia.
- Andrology: Evaluation of sperm physiology and its association with the factors that affect their fertilizing capacity.
Major equipment available
- Confocal microscope, Flow cytometer, chromatograph, western blot equipment, fluorescence microscopy.
- Lectinfluorescence of different glycotopes in placenta and glomerular filtration barrier cells, histoculture of placental microvilli, cromatography of glycan fractions isolated from cultures and samples. Human umbilical vein endothelial cells isolation and culture; angiogenesis and in vitro model of vascular remodelation; trophoblast invasion; stress oxidative tests.
General interest of collaboration
- We send and receive students, samples and proposals in transparent and proactive collaboration. In addition we want to propose new collaborative projects for international grants.
- Cadavid AP. Aspirin: The mechanisms of action revisited in the context of pregnancy complications. Frontiers Immunol 2017; 8:261. Front. Immunol. 8:261. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2017.00261.
- Angela M. Alvarez, Norman Balcázar, Sebastián San Martín, Udo R. Markert, Angela P. Cadavid. Modulation of antiphospholipid antibodies-induced trophoblast damage by different drugs used to prevent pregnancy morbidity associated with antiphospholipid syndrome. Am J Reprod Immunol 2017; Apr;77(4) DOI: 10.1111/aji.12634 ISSN: 1600-0897
- Glycosylation of Transferrin Receptor 1 in Pregnancy Disturbances: A Case Report. Gomez AM, Brown H, Bueno-S J. BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth . In press 2017.
- Glicanos de la vellosidad trofoblástica en la anemia ferropénica y la preeclampsia grave.Gómez-Gutiérrez, Alejandra María; Parra-Sosa, Beatriz Elena; Bueno-Sánchez, Julio Cesar. Revista Chilena de Nutrición, Jun 2015, Volume 42 Nº 2 Páginas 121 – 130.
- Aspirin-triggered lipoxin Prevents Antiphospholipid Antibody Effects on Human Trophoblast Migration and Endothelial Interactions. Alvarez A, Mulla M, Cadavid A, Chamley LW, Abrahams VM. Arthritis & Rheumatology. 2015.67(2):488-497.